luni, 3 noiembrie 2014

GRACE AKELLO - Encounter



Teach me to laugh once more
let me laugh with Africa my mother
I want to dance her drum-beats
I am tired of her cries
Scream with laughter
roar with laughter
Oh, how I hate this groaning

Africa groans
under the load of her kwashiokered children
she weeps
what woman would laugh
over her children's graves

I want to laugh once again
let me laugh with you
yes, even you my brother who blames me for breeding...
I laugh with you
even you who sell me guns
preserving world peace
while my blood, Africa's blood stains Earth
let laughter be my gift to you
my generous heart overflows with laughter
money and vanity harden yours
clogged in your veins, the blood no longer warms your heart
I will teach you yet

I am not bush, lion, savagery
mine are the sinews which built your cities
my sons fighting your wars
gave you victory, prestige
wherein lies the savagery in Africa...
Your sons in Africa looted our family chests
raping the very bowels of our earth
our gold line the streets of your cities...
where are pavements in Africa

Laugh with me
Do not laugh at me
my smile forgives all
but greed fetters your heart
the nightmare of our encounter is not over
your overgrown offspring
swear by the western god of money and free enterprise
that they are doing their best for Africa
indeed, Africa the dumping ground
Africa the vast experimental ground
the army bases in the developing parts
enhanced military aid in the loyal parts
family planning programmes in the advanced parts

My son built your cities
What did your son do for me...


Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu